I’ve spent most of my adult life on the road. I once went for 4 years without having a fixed address. Over the years I’ve worked out a little system to keep myself at my best, and while priorities change, there are a few things that are constants on the road for facilitating a healthy life while in constant transit. I’d love to hear from you all – those who travel for work and for pleasure, to find out what you consider essential!
I want to mention that more important than any product is Water, Enough Sleep, Exercise and Alone Time! These four things will work wonders without the addition of anything else.
10. Arnica Gel – This works on headaches, muscle pain from overuse, bruises and more. I prefer the gel over the cream and the tablets, but they all work.
9. Melatonin – Because sometimes I just can’t fall asleep, and no sleep turns me into a crazy person.
8. Vitamin D – Because musicians often do not get NEARLY enough sunlight! (See what the Mayo Clinic has to say about Vit D)
7. Dr. Bronner’s Soap – Because you do not want to be using the stuff in the hotels. That stuff is (usually) nasty and (always) wasteful, with their tiny little containers and what not. I wash my skin, my clothes, occasionally dishes, and even more rarely, my teeth with this stuff (it’s a little intense as a toothpaste but better than not brushing!). It works great and it’s simple. For face washing (or if you have dry skin), I recommend decanting some soap (either the baby or lavender variety) into another sealable container and adding equal parts olive oil. This makes a creamy cleanser that is amazing for your skin.
6. Heather’s Tummy Tamers Peppermint Capsules – If you have IBS, you need to know about this line. Their water soluble powder also works miracles.
5. Tennis Balls – Because back pain happens and you often don’t have access to a masseuse or chiropractor… Here’s a video example of how to use them.
4. Little Moon Essentials “Asana Kisser” – This wintergreen-scented, pain-relieving, solid massage salve will open up your breathing passages (and block out unpleasant smells if need be ;)
3. Baby Wipes – Because you can’t always get a shower, and these are better and less expensive than makeup removing wipes…
2. Indigo Wild Zum Mist – I can never decide between Frankincense & Myrrh or Lavender & Frankincense. Both are insanely amazing. I would go live inside their factory, this stuff smells so good.
1. A Yoga Mat! – Almost any mat will do in a pinch, but Jade Yoga Mats are some of the absolute best mats around. Eco friendly, non-toxic, great grip. ’nuff said.